Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has said his administration is willing to engage with the abductors behind the recent school attack in Oriire Local Government Area if it would help secure the safe release of the victims.
The governor made the statement on Monday while briefing journalists in Ibadan on the security situation surrounding the abduction of pupils and teachers from schools in the area.
Makinde, however, stressed that the state government would not bow to intimidation or surrender to criminal groups despite being open to dialogue.
According to him, authorities have now confirmed that seven students were kidnapped from Community Secondary School, while 18 pupils and seven teachers were abducted from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School during the attack.
He also confirmed that one victim was killed by the attackers.
The governor stated that the safety and return of the abducted children and teachers remained the government’s top priority.
“Whatever concerns or demands they have, we are prepared to listen and address whatever falls within the capacity of the state government, but the victims must be released,” he said.
Makinde urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements or activities to security agencies.
“If you notice anything unusual, speak up and trust that the government will respond appropriately. We will not allow terror to take over our state,” the governor added.
He disclosed that the Commissioner of Police and other security agencies were currently coordinating rescue operations and handling information management related to the incident.
Makinde explained that some operational details could not yet be disclosed publicly because of the sensitive nature of the rescue mission.
Speaking on the state’s surveillance aircraft project, the governor clarified that the security equipment had already arrived in Nigeria and was currently undergoing reassembly at the Nigerian Air Force base in Lagos.
According to him, technicians from China handling the installation arrived in the country a few days ago and are expected to complete the process within two weeks.
Makinde said the surveillance aircraft would become operational before the end of June and explained that the project was initiated long before the recent abduction incident.
He noted that the aim was to strengthen security monitoring around the Oyo-Kwara border and the international border between Oyo State and the Republic of Benin.
The governor stressed that the surveillance initiative was part of broader plans to improve the state’s security architecture and tackle emerging threats proactively.
He also appealed to journalists and residents to avoid sensationalising the incident, warning that careless information could affect ongoing rescue efforts.
“This situation involves human lives, so we must handle it carefully. If clarification is needed, government officials and the police are available to provide verified information,” he said.
Makinde reassured residents that his administration remained committed to protecting lives and restoring normalcy in the affected communities.
He admitted that the abduction was a painful setback but insisted that the government was deploying every available strategy to ensure the victims are rescued safely and quickly.
The governor further called on citizens to cooperate with security agencies by providing timely and credible information that could assist investigations and rescue operations.
While maintaining that the government would not yield to terror, Makinde said dialogue remained an option if it would help save innocent lives.
He lamented the growing insecurity in the country and questioned how communities had become divided against themselves.
“These are not strangers from another country. We have gradually become enemies to ourselves, and that is deeply troubling,” he said.
The governor also assured residents of the affected communities that efforts were ongoing to strengthen security and prevent further attacks.
The school invasion occurred on Friday, May 15, when gunmen stormed the schools and abducted the principal, teachers and several students.
The incident came weeks after an attempted kidnapping along the Ibadan-Ijebu Road reportedly left a traveller dead, increasing concerns over rising insecurity in Oyo State and other parts of the country.






