The Ogun State Government has confirmed that all victims hospitalised following the recent gas leak incident in parts of Ijebu-Ode have been treated and discharged after medical evaluations showed they were stable.
Commissioner for Health, Tomi Coker, disclosed this during a meeting with parents, residents and school authorities at Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School in Ijebu-Ode.
According to her, both adults and children affected by the chemical inhalation incident received treatment at the State Hospital, Ijebu-Ode, and facilities in Ijebu-Ife before being discharged in good condition.
Coker explained that the incident involved methane emissions, noting that while methane is not classified as a toxic gas, it can reduce oxygen supply in the body and trigger health complications.
She said mild exposure may not produce symptoms, but moderate cases can lead to fatigue, breathing difficulties and increased heartbeat, while severe exposure could result in unconsciousness or convulsions.
The commissioner, however, stated that no severe cases were recorded during the latest incident.
To strengthen emergency response, Coker announced that ambulance crews would be stationed across wards in Ijebu-Ode.
She explained that each emergency vehicle would include trained paramedics and drivers to ensure rapid response during emergencies.
According to her, the state also established a referral system that allows patients requiring specialised treatment to be transferred immediately to the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital.
The commissioner urged residents to remain calm and promptly report any suspicious smells or unusual environmental conditions through the ministry’s emergency response channels.
She revealed that district surveillance nurses, environmental health officers and rapid response teams had already been deployed to affected communities.
Coker added that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control had also been informed about the incident.
She further disclosed plans to train teachers and interested parents as community first responders to improve emergency preparedness within schools and neighbourhoods.
According to her, residents exposed to possible methane inhalation should quickly seek help and protect their respiratory system with wet cloths pending medical intervention.
The government also plans to conduct toxicology tests on some of the affected students to determine the extent of gas exposure.
Meanwhile, Commissioner for Environment, Ola Oresanya, said gas analysers had been installed around affected schools to monitor air quality.
He explained that the government intends to extend the monitoring system to more schools across Ijebu-Ode while experts from Olabisi Onabanjo University analyse data from the devices.
Oresanya added that health officials would begin deployment to schools from Monday as part of ongoing monitoring and response efforts.
Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Abayomi Arigbabu, appealed to school administrators, teachers and parents to avoid panic and help reassure students.
He warned against spreading false information capable of creating fear within the community and assured residents that the state government remains committed to student safety.
Also speaking, the Commissioner of Police, Bode Ojajuni, said security operatives, including the School Protection Squad, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit and other specialised teams, had been deployed around schools and affected areas.
According to him, drones are also being used to monitor the environment and improve surveillance.
The latest gas leak incident reportedly affected more than 100 students and teachers across several schools in Ijebu-Ode, including Anglican Girls’ Grammar School and Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School.
The development came barely weeks after a similar incident in the town left about 30 students and a teacher hospitalised.






